For the last week or so I have been working on a pretty significant software development project for the future. It didn’t start out that complicated – what it’s doing isn’t that complicated, but what you can do with it is complicated, and it’s doing my head in.
I can’t explain exactly what I’m building (it’s all top secret), but I suppose an analogy might go some way towards helping you understanding my plight – and then feeling sorry for me.
- Imagine a set of magic dominoes.
- Imagine you can make the dominoes listen to each other, so perhaps when one falls over, other related ones fall over too.
- Imagine that standing a domino back up causes a different set of related dominoes to stand back up too.
- Now try and make a domino topple out of them all, and verify that exactly what should have happened did happen.
- Just for fun, let the domino topple go in multiple directions at once, and verify that it’s all behaving.
I had one small bug in the code this morning – something I forgot to implement – and the whole thing ground to a halt for 2 hours while I pulled most of my hair out, kicked the desk, and stared incredulously at my own code.
My mood this morning could therefore be described thusly;
- 9:00am – I hate computers
- 10:00am – Oh god, what have I built
- 11:00am – It’s going to be the death of me
- 12:00am – YAY! I win, I rule, I am the master of all I survey
This kind of grandstanding is pretty common when I solve something complicated… usually punctuated with kicking myself away from my desk on my office chair, fists in the air, doing a mini celebration.
This morning the girl opposite nearly spat her tea out laughing at me, lol just imagine. Actually she laughed at me when she knew what I hate.. 😦
Errr dasar anak buah yang tidak berbakti, kerja lom lama dah mita naek jabatab jadi nyoya, lol I’m sory guys. Seems like I’m out of topic..